This NativePath content is medically reviewed or fact-checked to ensure factually accurate information.
With strict editorial sourcing guidelines, we only link to academic research institutions, reputable media sites, and, when research is available, medically peer-reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses (1, 2, etc.) are clickable links to these studies.
The information in our articles is NOT intended to replace that of a qualified healthcare professional and is not intended as medical advice.
Green Bean Casserole
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 25 MINUTES
- 1 LB. fresh green beans
- 8 OZ. roughly chopped mushrooms
- 4 OZ. prosciutto
- 1 Cup yellow onions, thinly sliced
- ½ Cup shallots, finely chopped.
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- ½ Cup almond meal
- 1½ Cup unsweetened nut milk
- 1½ Tsp. Sea salt
- 2 Tsp. Cracked black pepper
- 2 TBSP. Coconut oil
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Aluminum foil will not work.
- DRIZZLE TABLESPOON OIL over the thinly sliced yellow onions and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sea salt. Massage oil and salt evenly into the onions with hands. Spread onions evenly on baking sheet.
- BAKE 30 MINUTES, removing from oven and stirring/flipping every 10 minutes. You’re looking for a brown/crispy texture. Note: Cook for an additional 5+ minutes if they aren’t crispy enough.
- BRING A LARGE pot of water and salt to a boil.
- ROUGHLY CHOP THE prosciutto and add to a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Lightly crisp the prosciutto then add the chopped shallots. Once the shallots are slightly clear, add the minced garlic. After a few minutes, add the mushrooms and continue to stir on medium-high heat.
- CUT GREEN BEANS in half and add to boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove from the water and place in a bowl.
- ONCE MUSHROOMS COOK down to a golden color, remove entire prosciutto/shallots/garlic/ mushroom mixture and set aside in a separate bowl.
- WITH HEAT ON medium-low, add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 cup milk. Stir with a metal whisk. Add half almond meal and whisk until it dissolves. Carefully add remaining milk and almond meal, whisking over a medium simmer. Add ½ teaspoon sea salt and 2 teaspoons pepper. Whisk until gravy thickens to the texture of heavy cream.
- REDUCE HEAT AND add prosciutto/shallots/ garlic/mushroom mixture and stir to combine. Add the green beans to the sauté pan and stir.
- POUR THE ENTIRE mixture into a medium-sized casserole dish. Cover with aluminum foil or the lid (if you have one) and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- REMOVE THE FOIL/ LID and sprinkle the dried onions evenly on top. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes at 350°F uncovered.
This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. Neither Dr. Chad Walding nor the publisher of this content takes responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement, or lifestyle program.